Tuesday, August 5, 2008

SoulFest!






Alright, so there is no possible way that I can Talk about everything that happened at soulfest in one post, so I'm going to give a brief overview today with some of the best pictures taken. Later on I will post a link to all of the pictures as well as tell stories about some specific pictures.

Day 1:
Bands Listened to: -Well known song of theirs:
Arise
Unspoken
Ten Shekel Shirt -Something about the Ocean
Jars of Clay God -Will Lift Up Your Head
TobyMac -Made to Love

The first day was very interesting, and this is also when we decided that this year would be a lot of learning... Learning so we knew how to do it better the next day and our next trip! We got there super early (someone didn't read the directions, but that's classified information) but the nice people still got us to our campsite without too much delay.
We didn't have any trouble setting up the tents, which was nice. We hung out at the campsite for a while, but it was like 100degrees so we decided to check out this lake that we were told we could swim in. It smelled gross, like dead fishies, but the boys still went in. I saw some crayfish, which brought me back to my childhood because I used to catch them all the time; so that's what we did. We caught like 2 maybe, and we got a makeshift cup to put them in. After about 5 minutes of standing still catching crayfish, they all started attacking my feet! I had like literally 7 mini crayfish on my feet nibbling or pinching my feet, and it really tickled. Then, the mommy's came out. They were literally 2 inches long, I FREAKED and jumped out of the water cause that thing was coming for my little piggies! So, no more crayfish catching, but we did watch them... and lo and behold the MOMMY OF THE MOMMIES came out! That thing looked like a lobster! It was freaky and the boys were no longer swimming in the lake/pond at that point!
Ok, so then we went back to watch some music at the Revival (the main) stage. I'm not sure where the boys were at that point... Or Bekah for that matter, but Meesh and I were watching Unspoken and I'm watching people go up the ski-lift to the Mountaintop Stage and see the most unusual sight: a 6 year old boy was hanging from one of the chairs! Like by his hands!! He was holding on to the bar, hanging there, when the ski lift stopped and a crowd formed underneath him. That kid was strong, he probably was holding on there for like at least a full minute, when the EMT's started arriving and people were starting to become proactive about the situation, and he dropped into the arms of the crowd. He was fine; he walked away.
At this point, the ice in the cooler was melting fast to the girls went to Hannaford to buy some ice. We were late getting back from Jars of Clay and basically lost the boys in the crowd. Then there was something else I lost; my keys. At night. In a crowd of 500 people. In long, unmowed grass. With limited flashlights. Luckily, someone turned them into security and they were safe and waiting for me!
TobyMac was AWESOME! Probably my favorite performance all weekend, the whole concert was choreographed, and he did a great job of getting the crowd into the music!

Day 2:
Bands we Heard: -Popular Song:
Tenth Avenue North -Love is Here
John Reuben -Nuisance w/Matt Theissen of Relient K
Phil Joel -God is Watching Over You
SuperChick[K] -We Live/Stand in the Rain
Kutless Strong -Tower/I Am Complete

Alright, so by Thursday we were havin' none of this sitting up on the hill thing, we were all about front row center. For 12 hours straight. For the next three days (my feet are still killing me). John Reuben has instilled a newfound love of Rap in me. His band was stuck at the airport and so he was singing solo, but I think it is because of that that I find him so interesting; he was great at improvising. He couldn't sing Nuisance by himself, (he doesn't actually sing the chorus) but he sang the verses a Capella for us and let US sing the chorus for him! He kept us all on track though ;).
Just after John Reuben, there was this massive downpour! It only lasted maybe 1o minutes, but boy when it comes down, it comes down! (in the group picture above, you can see how drenched Matt got!). Fortunately there was hardly any lightening so we managed to get our spot back very quickly after the rain stopped (we also had some spare clothes and blankets in the car which helped). We went without our cell phones for the rest of the night, for fear of losing them to the wetness, but couldn't part with our cameras, which did survive. Unfortunately, because of the rain the Superchick concert was cut a little short.
Now my second favorite performance of the week: Kutless. As you know, Matt, Jason and I went to see Kutless earlier this year, but it was totally different, as they were on their accoustic tour before. John Micah, the lead singer kept looking toward our group (the craziest in the crowd) and made and held eye contact with me for at least three times.
I also bought a little hand pin.

Day 3:
Bands we Saw: -Popular Song:
The Wrecking -(Local band)
Maeve -(Local Band)
DecembeRadio -Dangerous
KJ52 -KJ52
Matt Maher
Pheobe Henry-(Local)
BarlowGirl -Never Alone
Newsboys -I Am Free

Today was once again a really really hot day! Matt and I got our souvenirs; soulfest t-shirts! The bands were OK today, but I once again loved the rap!! KJ52 was awesome! If you watch the 52television, we were right there, although you can't make out our faces. Unfortunately, after waiting 8 hours, we were pushed out of the front row during the BarlowGirl concert, which was awesome! I love BarlowGirl!!
Also, Matt missed Fireflight because he was told they were cancelled, because their flight was delayed (They still played, just a little later)

Day 4:
Bands we Saw: -Popular song:
Siloam
Bethany Dillon -All I Need
Stellar Kart -Life is Good (Eternal Life is Better)
Sam Philips and the Section Quartet
Rebecca St.James -Do I even need
Third Day -to list one?

By today, we were all exhausted! We took shifts holding our spots in line, only to lose them once it started with rain and lightening shortly after Sam Philips. Unfortunately, this cut Rebecca St. James down to 2 songs, but Third Day was still a full concert. We did manage to make it back to the second and third row off to the right of the stage by the time Third Day was playing, so we were all content. I took over 300 pictures, and am still trying to recover from sleeping in a tent for 4 days!

Will probably post more interesting stories later!!

No comments: