Saturday, April 19, 2008

BPA in Plastic Products

A few weeks ago I had mentioned how Nalgene plastic water bottles had a potentially harmful chemical that leached from it? Well it's apparently called BPA, and it appears Nalgene is doing something about it. You can read the article I found here.

If you read the article, you will also notice the mention of BPA in baby bottles. . . Scary, huh?! When I first heard about plastic baby bottles being potentially harmful, I vowed to only use glass water bottles if I ever have kids. My Environmental Science class has been keeping up with a few bills in Maine legislature, one of them being "harmful chemicals in children's products." This bill has had at least 15 amendments proposed, with probably 6 being accepted into the bill. It's not the one I'm studying, but they will all be presented at the last class, and I'll let you know what the bill entails when I know.

Until then, I would stay clear of any soft plastics that children might put in their mouth (such as rubber duckies) and watch out for plastic teething and drinking products.

No comments: