Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Plethera of Different Topics

First: Spring!!

I spent weeks thinking spring, and now it's here! There's hardly any snow anywhere!! I spent too much time inside, it's like spring came overnight- it was 65degrees outside yesterday.

Second: Adulthood?

  • When did I grow up? Like the coming of spring, the fact that my life consists of college, work, and grown up issues has hit me all at once, even though I've been doing all of this stuff for at least a year. Maybe it's because when I graduated I was so young, and still felt like a kid even though I was working and going to college. Now that I'm thinking about a more permanent job, graduation, and eventually an apartment away from home... I feel like I've become one of those boring adults that would rather sit and chat with family about gas prices and politics than play with my new toys on Christmas! *sigh*

Third: Expelled.

  • Sub-topic 1: The movie
    • Matt and I are probably going to New Hampshire two weekends from now the day before the Kutless concert to see the movie because we can't get in contact with the theater in Portland and we can't find out show times, so I am under the assumption that the theater has closed. Plus the theater in NH is just as far away from Matt as Porland is from me, so it really wont be too different in retrospect. Let me just say that for only working 11 hours that week, I'm going to be putting out more money in gas than I'm actually making!

  • Sub-topic 2: The evolution subject itself (a bit lengthy, don't feel obligated to read)
    • I showed a flyer for the movie to my science professor, asking if she had heard about it. She hadn't, but we managed to get into a debate. I was just saying that Intelligent Design should be taught in school, or at least the faults and evidence against evolution taught. HAH! "Scientific Theory is not like any thing else..." and blah blah blah... I can see why some scientists have lost their jobs and almost their career over this...
    • I then talked with another student in my class, and he was nicer about it, saying "anything is possible," and while he himself is "religious" and believes in the Bible, he thinks that a lot of it is not to be taken literally, which is true to a point. He however believes in what some call "Creationism," which is the belief that God basically created the big bang, and set evolution in process, and the 6/7 days we know to be creation happened over billions of years, thus evolution and the belief that the earth is 4.5 billions of years old.
    • I told him that the primary "evidence" for evolution was fossils, and in order for fossils to be created, death had to happen, which didn't until after the fall of man. Makes perrrrfect sense to me, but he started going on about how he didn't think there was such a thing as an eternal 'body' and that the death not happening until after Adam was referring to a spiritual death that was non-existent before the fall of man.
    • Why do I get into these debates? People are usually pretty set in their ways, as I am set in my mine; I'll admit that I'm pretty closed minded when it comes to evolution. I just think that it should be presented in a manner that doesn't make it out to be fact. There is a lot of evidence against macro-evolution that is never looked at when it is discussed. Would I rather it not be taught at all? Of course, I think the concept is ridiculous. But let's at least give people the option to believe something else (and yes, I told them this and they said basically that it's religion and should be kept separate from science, and people were idiots if they didn't think critically and search for information on other subjects if they found fault with Darwin's Theory.)
    • But yet, the people that DO research against Darwin's theory and report their findings are shot down and shunned by other scientists! Hence the creation of the film Expelled!

    • Sorry. That was still fresh in my mind. This class has 10 people, and I know 3 people including myself who outright do not believe in Neo-Darwinism. 3/10? 33.3%? That's a large percent. Why can't we get anything else but Darwinism taught?
(sorry, bullets were the only way to indent and make this book easier to read)

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Laura, you are so inspiring! I love that you are willing to start up controversial conversations if it is a way to expose and share truth. Even sharing it with your professor- cool beans! Expelled (the movie) is definitely worth the extra gas, if only to support the cause of creationism!